I have a soft spot for several riders, that is no secret, but there’s a handful who I will always root that extra bit for. Aleix, Dovi and Rins may be high on the list but the top spot has to belong to Maverick.
So here are five reasons you should also be rooting for #MV25.
1. He has an adorable dog. – This may not be top of most people’s lists but this is me after all and Maverick’s Minnie is beautiful! Mav originally bought Minnie with his then-girlfriend Cristina Lloevra so when the pair broke up, there was near radio silence on the whereabouts of the chocolate wonder but it appears Maverick got custody of their furry child as she made a welcome return to his Instagram. She also has her own Instagram account so, if you want to be like me with a 50/50 racing/animal related Instagram feed, you can follow her too @labradorminnie.
2. He tries. He really REALLY tries so damn hard to push that bike and to fight for those top spots that I, for one, feel like crying when he either can’t get it to perform or when he somehow magically gets it into a top position like in Thailand.
There’s no denying that he is bloody talented. If you take a look back through his past stats then it’s obvious that he is not a poorly performing rider and it’s slightly more to do with what he is sat on. Plus he’s not the only one to complain about the performance of his 2018 Yamaha as his teammate has also voiced concerns about the electronics on the bike.
I’m never one to rule anyone out in the points battle (hey, I had my money on Dovi for 2017 champion till that crash) and with him sitting in fourth, you never know what will happen.
3. He’s alllll about that gym motivation. – If you briefly flick through his Instagram, he’s all about those #Gainz and he delivers some 10/10 motivation… until you try to do one circuit and suddenly you feel like your lungs are about to make an unexpected trip to the outside world. Seriously, watching some of his circuits make me so pumped up and I feel I could easily do that and take on the world but *newsflash* I am not as fit as Maverick so it is a terrible idea for me to imitate them AND it’s not all cycling!
4. #GoateeGoalz – I can count on one hand the number of people who can actually pull off a goatee and not look like they should be on some kind of register or be the villain in some cheesy old school tv show. He can actually pull it off and look rather handsome whilst he does it. A skill/talent/ability *delete as applicable* that many would love to have. He definitely have the best facial hair in the paddock, in my opinion obviously. (No offence to the masses of guys out there who struggle to grow facial hair).
5. Good guy Maverick – And lastly, the reason that just has to make you smile, Mav donated €81,000 to Oscar Fernandez, a fan from his hometown of Girona. Oscar is currently battling cancer and recently had one of his legs amputated. I love the way that Maverick went about doing this, so under the radar and he just wanted to help him like the lovely guy he is. It only came to light when Oscar announced on Facebook that ‘someone’ had paid for the prosthetics. Nice one Maverick, you are a great guy.
Okay, so most of the reasons aren’t racing related and that is 100% okay in my opinion because let’s face it, we don’t all pick riders based solely on their riding. They are people after all and the likes of Mav’s good deeds or puppy dog do add to the appeal of them. But, all in all, I rate Maverick very highly both on and off the track, he’s underappreciated and overlooked and I hope to GOD that the 2019 Yamaha is better for him.